St Theresa's Convent School

About our school

We are a Holy Family Catholic Independent School based in Coronationville for over 60years! St. Theresa’s Convent School offers quality and holistic education for both boys and girls from grade 00 - 7. Grounded in our Christian Ethos we pride ourselves by assuring a faith based education in an environment with a strong Catholic ethos.

The school’s history goes back to the first school opened by the Holy Family Sisters in 1887, one year after the discovery of gold, in the new church on the corner of Fox and Smal Street, Johannesburg. The school developed into a Parochial High School and later moved to End Street, Doorfontein. The property in Fox street was sold and became the Brewery, but is now part of the site of Carlton Centre. This school was commonly known as the President Street School when it moved to President Street in 1889.

By order of the Nationalist Government the school had to move and offered the church a new school site in Coronationville and plans were made to move the school from president Street in 1949. The mixed race school had to be segregated and the school was forced to only accept coloured children. St Theresa’s Convent was build on its current site with the school and the convent adjacent to each other. The girls’ only high school was run by the Holy Family Sisters until 1952 when the school reverted into a co-ed Primary school. Through the years the school continued to flourish and established a rich cultural and educational history.

In 1995 the new buildings were erected and the school’s numbers grew. Today the school serves children from the areas of Coronationville, Newclare, Westbury, Bosmont, Riverlea, Florida, Eldorado Park, Ennerdale and Soweto. The school is registered with the Gauteng Department of Education as an Independent Catholic School as well as the Catholic Institute for Education and the Catholic School’s.

14 Riversdale Street

Coronationville

Johannesburg

2092

St Theresa's Convent School © 2015

 All Rights Reserved